JBMcD | Heavy Dues

Go To Artist Page

Recommended if You Like
Jaco Pastorius Michael Manring Stanley Clarke

Album Links
Official JBMcD Website Official JBMcD MySpace page

More Artists From
CANADA - other

Other Genres You Will Love
Jazz: Jazz Fusion Jazz: Jazz-Rock Moods: Featuring Bass
Sell your music everywhere
There are no items in your wishlist.

Heavy Dues

by JBMcD

Jazz Fusion Bassist: A cross between Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius. No sample clips/loops used in any of the music on this CD. JBMcD wrote and recorded every note on all instruments in every song. JBMcD also did all production for this
Genre: Jazz: Jazz Fusion
Release Date: 

We'll ship when it's back in stock

Order now and we'll ship when it's back in stock, or enter your email below to be notified when it's back in stock.
Continue Shopping
just a few left.
order now!
Buy 2 or more of this title's physical copies and get 30% off
Share to Google +1

To listen to tracks you will need to update your browser to a recent version.

  Song Share Time Download
1. Heavy Dues
5:03 $0.99
2. I Just Want to Play
4:31 $0.99
3. Five Seventy Four
4:55 $0.99
4. Obsession
5:25 $0.99
5. Trailer Daze
5:02 $0.99
6. In Your Face
2:11 $0.99
7. Breaking Out
6:35 $0.99
8. Final Exit
4:32 $0.99
Downloads are available as MP3-320 files.


Album Notes
I got a guitar at the age of 12. I played it for a month and hated it. Then I got my first bass guitar, I loved it. I thought only four strings and twelve notes. How hard can that be? Duhhhh I played my first gig at the age of 13. My first band's name was The Weed. I'll let you figure that one out :-) We played mainly rhythm and blues and worked constantly. We even got to choose between gigs and turned down lots of them.

I played in a lot of different bands based in Winnipeg, Canada, over the next ten years. The music ranged from pop, R&B, rock, and some jazz. None of the bands were hugely successful, though. All were working road bands, with the exception of a few rock bands that gigged mainly in the city. I'd be on the road for three to six months at time. I'm not sure if my friends realized that I was on the road gigging or not. I was constantly popping in and out of their lives. But when I got back in to town it was like I'd never left. I had some great friends. Between gigs I'd pick up a day job. I usually hated it so I'd find a working band that needed a bass player.

I moved to Toronto in the 80's. Did some session work, but not enough to make a living at it (my music reading sucks). I played in one of Toronto's top progressive rock bands (at the time) named Light Speed. After that I played in King Herbert's band for a little over six months. I had the most fun playing I've ever had in that band. See Road Tales on my web site for more info on King.

In the late 80's I moved back to Winnipeg and spent a year wood shedding (practicing my butt off). I practiced 16 hour days, seven days a week. Then I put a demo tape together.

I sent out several demo tapes of songs I had written and recorded to major management companies in the U.S. One of the companies got back to me. They told me they liked my music and wanted me to come down to Los Angles. I was ecstatic, all the years of bad road gigs, no money, and practice were about to finally pay off. However I felt I needed a solid 3 to 4 months of heavy practice before I moved to L.A. just to be on top of my game.

That's when one of the worst things that could happen to a musician happened to me. I started getting heavy pain in both of my hands. I was diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome. Never got the chance to make it to L.A. Over the next few years, I had four different hand surgeries, including a reconstruction surgery. At first I was very optimistic that I would be able to play again. Months dragged into years, I still couldn't play. Those were the worst years in my life. I lost just about everything I cared about, including close family members who passed away. After holding out hope of being able to play again for over four years I realized all of my hopes and dreams of becoming a successful musician were over. I sold all of my gear. I was devastated.

I tried doing other things, none fulfilled me the way music did. I never lost the calling to play though. The more I was around musicians or watching bands, the worse the calling would get. It was very frustrating so I avoided seeing live bands as much as possible.

A few years ago I was watching the Live Aid concerts on T.V. I got hit real hard by the calling, it was practically screaming at me in both ears. I went on to EBay and purchased an inexpensive 5 string bass ($125 brand new). I figured that the worst that could happen was that I'd just wasted $125. When the bass arrived I started playing it through my home stereo.

I was amazed; my chops were still there after over a 14 year absence. No pain! Granted, my speed, coordination, dexterity, and endurance sucked big time, but that came back with practice. Over the last couple of years I have been wood shedding again. I've released my first solo CD titled Heavy Dues which is now available at this site.

Even if no one buys my CD, I'm still thrilled and amazed that I can play again. Life is strange; you never know what's going to happen. I've learned to never say never!



to write a review